All versions of Centrify Identity ServiceQuestion:
Is it possible to clone a pre-existing server with a Centrify Cloud Connector installed, in order to register another Cloud Connector?Answer:
Yes, this is possible. However there are some considerations to be taken into effect:
- The cloud connector software must be either uninstalled prior to the clone taking place, or reinstalled after the clone completes.
- When a cloud connector is installed, a UUID is generated in the Windows registry, with a value that is unique to that specific install.
- If a server is cloned, this value will also be cloned, thus the Cloud will then see the new server as pre-existing.
- Any attempts at registering a new Cloud Connector from the newly cloned server without uninstalling first, will disable the Cloud Connector running on the server the clone was created from.
- A Cloud Connector is installed on a server named SSO1.
- This server is then cloned without uninstalling the connector first, and renamed to SSO2.
- SSO1 & SSO2 will now have matching UUID values in the Windows registry.
- So, if an attempt to register a Cloud Connector from SSO 2 is made before uninstalling and reinstalling the Connector, SSO1's Cloud Connector will be disabled due to the Cloud recognizing them as the same server.
- However, if the Cloud Connector is uninstalled and then reinstalled on SSO2, this will allow a new UUID to be generated, thus allowing a new Cloud Connector to be registered.