All versions of Centrify DirectControl on Mac OS X 10.11 and higherQuestion:
Printers have been added into a Mac system according to one of the methods described in the KB:
However attempts to print documents are failing when using the cdcsmb://
protocol (authenticated printing).
Printers added under regular non-authenticated protocols work fine.
What are the troubleshooting steps to figure out why authenticated printing is not working?Answer
Authenticated printing relies on a series of steps to flow correctly:
- User sends a document to print queue.
- Document is passed into the cdcsmb process.
- cdcsmb looks at:
- Sockets in /var/centrifydc/adprint/
- Relevant credentials to send to printer.
- Once credentials and sockets have been found, everything is passed to the adprintd process to send to printer.
- If any part of this flow breaks, then print jobs will fail.
To generate debug logs for print failures, please use the following steps:
- Login to the system as Local Admin
- Open the following file for editing: /etc/centrifydc/centrifydc.conf
- Add the following lines to the bottom of the file:
- log.cdcsmb: DEBUG
- log.adprintd: DEBUG
- Logout of the Local Admin account and login as the AD user.
- Open the Terminal and enter the following commands:
- login local admin username
- sudo adreload
- sudo /usr/local/share/centrifydc/bin/centrifydc restart
- sudo /usr/local/share/centrifydc/bin/addebug clear
- sudo /usr/local/share/centrifydc/bin/cdcdebug on
- (Replace "local admin username" with the actual username of the Local Admin of the Mac)
- Start up a network trace:
- (If the Mac is connected via Ethernet)
- sudo tcpdump -i en0 -s 0 -w /tmp/print.pcap
- (If the Mac is connected via WiFi)
- sudo tcpdump -i en1 -s 0 -w /tmp/print.pcap
- (For further info on the above commands, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3994 )
- Try to print a document and let it fail.
- Take screenshots of any error messages displayed.
- Stop the network trace and enter the following commands:
- klist > /tmp/klist.log
- sudo /usr/local/share/centrifydc/bin/cdcdebug off
- sudo /usr/local/share/centrifydc/bin/cdcdebug pack AD_Username
- adquery user -A AD_Username > /tmp/adquery.log
- (Replace AD_Username with the actual username of the affected AD user)
- Send any screenshots and the following files to Centrify Support:
- /var/centrify/tmp/cdcdebug.tar.gz (or /tmp/cdcdebug.tar.gz )