All versions of Centrify DirectControl for Mac OS X.Question:
The "Place Documents and Folders in Dock" and "Place Applications in Dock" GPs do not work for internet URLs, they just show a question mark on the Dock.
Can internet links be placed in the Mac Dock via GP?Answer:
There are two methods to achieve this:Method A: Using a Login ScriptNote:
- The scripting hints provided in this KB are provided as a proof-of-concept only.
- Centrify Support does not cover custom-scripting - please contact Centrify Professional Services for further assistance with scripts.
Method B: Using a "Template Dock"
- Download the attached login script and open it with a UNIX capable text editor.
- (Notepad++ is recommended on Windows systems, do not use notepad.exe)
- Change the LINK_URL and LINK_TITLE variables to the desired link and icon title.
- Make sure to keep them wrapped in the single quotes.
- Save the script to the SYSVOL folder on the AD server:
- \\ [domain] \SYSVOL\ [domain] \scripts\
- Set up the Login Script GP at:
- User Configuration / Centrify Settings / Mac OS X Settings / Scripts / "Specify multiple login scripts"
- Enter the filename of the script only: create_dock_url_login.sh
- The "Parameters" field can be left blank.
- Login as Local Admin and follow the Apple KB article to add an URL link to the Dock:
- Copy out the plist from the location:
- Paste this "template" plist to the AD server:
- \\ [domain] \SYSVOL\ [domain] \plist\
- Enable the "Import plist" GP and add the plist "com.apple.dock.plist" (Only the filename is needed)
- User Configuration / Centrify Settings / Mac OS X Settings / Import Settings / "Import plist Setting"
- Using either method, to allow the GP to take affect immediately, go to the Mac as the AD user, open up Terminal and run the command:
- Logout and log back in as an AD user, the URL icon will appear on the Dock:
- It was discovered that in some builds of OS X 10.7, the default link icon was not present in the Dock.app package - resulting in a working link, but with blank icon on the Dock
- If needed, the attached image resource (url.png) can also be deployed via Group Policy to populate the link icon on the Dock:
- Use the Copy File GP:
- Computer Configuration / Centrify Settings / Common UNIX Settings / "Copy files"
- Destination location:
To place an internet link on the user's Desktop instead, please see: