Applies to: All versions of Centrify DirectControl on Mac OS X 10.7 and higher
The login banner text in OS X is quite limited in size and does not allow a lot of text to be easily viewbale.
Is it possible to make a scrolling banner text at the login screen in OS X?
The login banner on Mac OS X is not scrollable and limited to around 300 characters.
As a workaround, a scrollable policy banner can be displayed at the Login Window which requires a user to acknowledge before proceeding:Note:
The following workaround uses the method detailed in the Apple KB: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4788
- Create the banner with the desired text and formatting, and save it with the filename "PolicyBanner" in one of the following formats:
- Plain text file (.txt)
- Rich text format (.rtf)
- Rich text format directory (.rtfd)
- Use the "Copy files" group policy to distribute the banner file to the destination /Library/Security/ on the Mac:
- Computer Configuration / Centrify Settings / Common UNIX Settings / "Copy files
- Once the file has been pushed to the Mac, the banner will show the next time the user restarts their machine.
- For the Rich Text Format Directory (.rtfd) type; since these are seen as directories from Windows, each file within that directory will need to be entered into the GP separately and then the destination for all of them set to:
- Note the trailing slash
- Make sure to enable the "Copy as binary file" checkbox for any image files that need to be copied over.
- Once the files have been copied over, it will be seen as a single file within the /Library/Security/ folder on the Mac.